December 6, 2011 Gold Rush Chili
I made this last night and it was FABULOUS!!
Gold Rush Chili (from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans beans (see note above), drained
- 3 green onion, sliced (for garnish)
- Prepare the butternut squash (see discussion above), and set it aside. Heat a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat, and add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté until the onion is translucent and the pepper is soft, about 7-9 minutes. (You may add a little water to prevent sticking.) Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add all the seasonings, and stir well to coat the vegetables. Stir in the tomatoes (and their juice), water, squash, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Cover and cook until the squash is tender but not falling apart (about 40 minutes). Serve in bowls, garnished with green onions.